RE: one vs. 1 (SusanT)

Subject: RE: one vs. 1 (SusanT)
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:54:33 -0400

<Can of worms>

Consider two examples of easy font distinctions:

Times New Roman distinguishes better than Century Gothic between the upper-case "eye" and the lower-case "L": TNR gives the upper-case "eye" full serifs at the top and bottom.

However, Century Gothic distinguishes better than Times New Roman between the lower-case "L" and the digit "one": CG gives the digit "one" a serif at the top, but no serif at all on the letter.

As a font amateur, I consider those distinctions *very* easy to spot, even before I have my first cup of tea in the morning.

Here's an example of a slightly tougher distinction: In Courier New, the serif at the top of the lower-case "L" and the digit "one" differs only in its angle -- so that doesn't pass the precaffeination test.

Is there any font that distinguishes *very* clearly between the upper-case "eye," the lower-case "L," and the digit "one"?

As an act of mercy, I'll leave the "pipe" symbol (vertical bar) out of the conversation.

</Can of worms>

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.