Re: Word 2007 cross-references

Subject: Re: Word 2007 cross-references
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:29:51 -0700

Re the "Add a formatting switch to a field code" discussion of
\*Charformat, how do you apply formatting to the first letter of the
field name?

If the answer is, change Word options to display field codes instead
of values, and then format the first letter, that doesn't work for me.

The instructions under "Apply text formatting to a field" don't work, either.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Combs, Richard
<richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com> wrote:
> quills -at- airmail -dot- net wrote:
>
>> It all depends upon whether you can find documentation of those
>> switches. If they are hidden, and not mentioned, as the were at least
> in
>>   the previous version of Word, in the dialog box options, then they
> are
>> not accessible to those who use them infrenquently. Information
> hidden,
>> is information lost.
>
> Just a couple of hours ago, Dan Goldstein posted a link to the relevant
> topic in Microsoft Office Online:
>
>> MS Word 2007 Help at
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA103387981033.aspx,
>> describes the switches in detail.
>
> On Friday, I pointed out the relevant topics in Word Help. Maybe I
> didn't provide sufficiently detailed information. In the Word Help Table
> of Contents, navigate to Automation and programmability > Field codes >
> Insert and format field codes. Click Show All on the right and keep
> reading. In particular, see "Apply text formatting to a field" and "Add
> a formatting switch to a field code" about half-way down.
>
> The Help search function was annoyingly unhelpful, but it took just a
> bit of looking to find those topics.
>
> The lament that almost no one reads the documentation is a fairly common
> one in our profession. It seems that it's true within the profession as
> well. :-)
>

> Richard G. Combs
> Senior Technical Writer

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.