RE: Word 2007 cross-references

Subject: RE: Word 2007 cross-references
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:22:31 -0600

Robert Lauriston wrote:

> If you read my first post in this thread, I originally tried
> hyperlinks, but they don't update automatically.
>
> And as I noted later, I did specifically apply a blue+underlined
> style, and it didn't have any effect.

Robert, did you look at the Word help on field codes as I suggested
earlier, specifically the topics "Apply text formatting to a field" and
"Add a formatting switch to a field code"?

Your earlier dismissal of the 2008 Fred Ridder post, recommended by Dan
Goldstein, was unfortunate. There is more to field codes than the
default example you countered with. It would behoove you to learn how to
insert something other than the default.

I'm not a fan of Word -- at least, not for serious, professional
documents of any length. But in my limited experience, applying
character styles to cross-references works and is not that hard to do.

IMHO, the current behavior is exactly right. Some people, like Gene,
don't want their x-refs automatically formatted at all. Others want to
choose their own formatting. And still others want some x-refs to be
blue and others to be green.

Don't most of us complain about Word automatically doing things for us
that we didn't want done? And here you are arguing for it to do even
more of that. Bad idea! :-}

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer