RE: one vs 1

Subject: RE: one vs 1
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>, "Deborah Hemstreet" <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>, "praneeta p" <praneeta_paradkar -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:04:28 -0500

Hi, Connie,

Here's a good synopsis of AP Style on numerals from
http://copyediting-grammar-style.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_write_i
n_ap_style

* Spell out numbers under 10.
* Use numerals for numbers 10 and above.
* Always use numerals for the following: ages, sums of money, time
of day, percentages, house numerals, years, days of month, degrees of
temperature, proportions, votes, scores, speeds, time of races,
dimensions and serial numbers.
* One exception to the above rules: always spell out a number that
begins a sentence, except if it is a year.
* Use Roman numerals (IV, III) for popes, royalty and wars.
* For large numbers (millions, billions, trillions, etc) do not
write out the zeros but instead use numerals followed by the word:
Tuesday's gathering brought together an astonishing 3.5 million
protesters from across the nation.

One other exception. On the copy desk, we always used numerals, even for
one to 10, in headlines. Why? I was told it was because of the more
instant reader recognition of numerals.

Jim

Read more:
http://copyediting-grammar-style.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_write_i