RE: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users

Subject: RE: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "'Robert Lauriston'" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:27:23 -0700

Robert, hang on. You're over-reacting to something I'm not saying.

Feedback is server-based and this feature does nothing more than any web
server in this instance. My website provider, for example, provides me with
reports about IP addresses, number of visitors
daily/weekly/monthly/annually, search keywords that got people to my site,
pages viewed, international location of said IP addresses, and so on. I
can't tell you who visited, after a general IP address. I certainly can't
tell you what any individual did on my website.

Feedback is *NOT* tracking what you, Robert, as a person does and then tells
people what you are doing. It doesn't do that. It tracks what users are
doing in that it tracks what words people are searching on and where they go
from there. It generates reports about what keywords people are searching,
what pages are getting how many hits, what keywords are not returning any
results and some other things.

It's not doing any more than any website provider is doing for the most
basic of web sites. You don't know that is when you visit a website
happening and your life is going fine, right? Well, Feedback is doing
something similar to help tech comm people see what and how the docs are
being used.

But Feedback doesn't track what Robert is doing, it track what this user is
doing.

sharon

Sharon Burton
MadCap Software Product Consultant
Managing your content, one topic at a time
www.anthrobytes.com
951-369-8590
IM: sharonvburton -at- yahoo -dot- com
Twitter: sharonburton