Re: And another un

Subject: Re: And another un
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:20:21 -0700

Just had to add my 5c to this one. "Uninterruptible" seems like a good
expansion of the language if it were not there when the UPS was invented.
Uninterruptible and continuous are not always fungible. Just because a
power supply is intended to be continuous, as in power from your local
power company, does not in any way mean that it can't be interrupted.

That's my 5c worth.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Writer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972
Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs., portraits (people & pets) from
photos
Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
Transcription, etc.
email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com & @earthlink.net, SendOutCards
Rendering & Logo Samples: http://www.foremangraphics.com - 626 794 9620

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:38:35 -0700 Robert Lauriston
<robert -at- lauriston -dot- com> writes:
> I think the word was invented by UPS manufacturers who for some
> (possibly good) reason didn't like the standard English
> "continuous."
> It's self-explanatory in context.
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin
> <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I would have allowed the dead horse to rot in peace, but
> this one just came to my attention in context (and I don't have a
> subscription to OED Online).
> >
> > Is "uninterruptible" (as in UPS) in your non-technical,
> general-use dictionary?
> >
> > That is, according to previous threads, is it a legitimate word?
> >
> > Or would some of you, when suggesting that the customer connect
> the equipment to an uninterruptible power supply, feel obliged to
> provide a definition or glossary entry for "uninterruptible"?
Careers in OT
Free information from top online schools-get a degree while you work!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=M-oLLF2CfBmpZsQMQw6XSgAAJ1AF8-sN2rJaw4gc-Vj798ORAAQAAAAFAAAAAFCNFz0AAANSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAkggQAAAAA=

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.