RE: A little respect for "unvalidated"

Subject: RE: A little respect for "unvalidated"
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:07:07 -0500

Just to throw another field into the mix.... back in another lifetime
when I was in college preparing for student teaching, we took a class in
"tests and measures".

When teachers constructed a test that measured what it was intended to
measure, accurately and unambiguously, then the test was "valid". If the
test could do so consistently, it was "reliable".

As you suggest, a test that had never been given to students and
subsequently analyzed to make sure it worked as intended, was
"unvalidated." A test proven not to work as intended was "invalidated."

From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
>So, "invalidated", in those industries, refers only to items (systems,
>processes, whatever) that have previously been >successfully validated,

>and are in currently validated state when the test is applied... and
>this time they've failed. So, the >named industries have another word
>that conveys "found to be invalid or not validatable, but this was the
first-ever >attempt, so it was not
>previously in validated state", yes? What would that word be?

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.

Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual authors
and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write once, publish
to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jim.pinkham%40voith.c
om

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.