RE: Review process for online help

Subject: RE: Review process for online help
From: "Gilbert, Brian" <BGILBER -at- transunion -dot- com>
To: "Donna Marino" <domarino -at- earthlink -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:23:25 -0500

<snip>
What have you found to be the best and most efficient way to elicit
feedback from subject matter experts? Do you distribute materials to be
reviewed as a printed document, a PDF, or some other format? (I ask
this because one developer likes to have a paper copy so he can actually
write notes on it.) Any suggestions about useful review processes would
be greatly appreciated.
</snip>

Donna,

If you are asking SMEs to review the content to ensure that it is
correct, I highly recommend providing an electronic version in Word or
PDF (track changes is a great feature). If the reviewer sends me an
electronic file, great. If it is handwritten notes, fine. Just as long
as they spend some time reviewing the material.

I have concerns for sending the compiled version...SMEs tend to focus on
formatting and links, not content. There's also the frustration
level...didn't I already see this content, how can I be sure that I
reviewed all of the content.

After you get the comments incorporated, you can ask for a functional
review (check the links, style sheet, etc.). I recommend having someone
other than the SME review the compiled version. At this point the
content should be correct, and I find that I get more comments on
wordsmithing.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.