Re: data storage terminology

Subject: Re: data storage terminology
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Sam Lightbourne <Sam -dot- Lightbourne -at- datacore -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:35:06 -0400

Sam Lightbourne wrote:
> What is the convention for referencing units of data storage such as
> megabytes or terabytes.
>
> For example, if you have a disk array with a storage capacity of 10
> terabytes, would you refer to its size as 10 TB or 10 TBs?

The usual standard for units is an unadorned abbreviation. There is a
tendency away from English-language abbreviations, as well, especially
when working with units defined within le Système international d'unités
(SI). Thus we are to use kg (not kg. and not kgs), lb (not lb. or lbs),
s and ms (not sec and msec), and so forth. But see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units for the full
scoop, including a reference on whether bytes of information is in units
that are construed as powers of two or as powers of ten. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#IEC_standard_prefixes for
more than you wanted to know.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.