Re: Use of Optional in instructions

Subject: Re: Use of Optional in instructions
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:53:26 -0700

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

To put what I said another way, I've never seen a topic (whether
generated with DITA or otherwise) that started with step 1 of an
ordered list of instructions.

There's always at least a title, which may be sufficient to identify
the task to be performed. For example, "Create a New Project File" or
"Delete a File" might not need any further description.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Pro TechWriter
<pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> We use DITA, which means the user does not necessarily read a concept before
> performing a task. And, there is not usually a description of what will be
> accomplished. I do know that seems weird, but that is the DITA way for the
> most part.
> And the way I wrote the example in the original (to which some people said
> "ewwww") is prescribed by our doc standards :-)
> Changing with the times--and methodologies,
> PT
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure I've ever seen a help topic that didn't start with a
>> description of what the steps that follow will accomplish.
>>
>> If the topic's written well, it shouldn't matter whether you get there
>> by invoking a context link, choosing an entry in the TOC, index, or
>> search results, or following a cross-reference from another topic.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM, McLauchlan, Kevin
>> <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
>> > I think the above argument holds water for books, but not so much for
>> > Help, where the reader might arrive from anywhere (including an index entry,
>> > a keyword search, or random karma) and not have followed a path that would
>> > le[a]d[e] them to anticipate a particular "accomplishment" other than the
>> > one they already had in their head(s).
>> >
>> >  Lauren opined:

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.