RE: Cost per page metrics

Subject: RE: Cost per page metrics
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 07:38:08 +0200

Hi Gene (and Robert),

While I agree that it is not a perfect parameter, "cost per page" seems
to be the parameter of choice when benchmarking technical documentation
costs within the industry. Not for companies who produce 2-3 manuals per
year ofcourse, but for larger corporations who output hundreds of
thousands of pages per year.

"Cost per word" would be very misleading, since a 100 page manual with
technical illustrations then would "cost" almost nothing to produce for
a corporation. Which isn't true ofcource, hence the "cost per page"
parameter, which takes into account labour, salaries, IT solutions,
real-estate, etc.

There are several whitepapers and theses about this, e.g. in "Technical
Communication". I just couldn't find any direct figures to compare our
figures with.

Thanks anyway.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager

http://www.flir.com/thg

Gene Kim-Eng

> I don't even want to think about it in those terms. It's not
> a good way to encourage people to write more succintly.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.