Anyone blog and maintain website with a smartphone?

Subject: Anyone blog and maintain website with a smartphone?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:15:04 -0400

Because my topic is somewhat technical and the tasks involve writing, I'm going to pretend that maintaining my website and updating my blog constitute Technical Writing (for the purpose of being on topic for this list).

I use my laptop for writing, editing, and uploading content, tweaking html, etc.when I'm home.

I'm not always home. I often get ideas or just have some time that I'd like to use to add or tweak the site or blog. I can't realistically carry the laptop everywhere. For example, I commute on foot about four days a week, and do some of my best thinking then, so it would be handy to whip out a device and write or edit while inspiration is fresh. Also, I'm indifferent to driving and my wife prefers to do it, so every place we go together is another opportunity to do some tweaking - you know, instead of just gazing about and playing punch-buggy....

Since my last plan is ended and my old cell phone is [over] due for replacement, I thought I might get my first-ever smartphone and a data plan to go with it. I further thought that I might use said phone to browse, fix, update the site and blog, etc. With that in mind, I've been considering a phone like the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 on one network (here in Canada) or the HTC Touch Pro 2 on another network. The salient aspects are the nice screen and the physical keyboard.

So I was wondering if anybody else has been doing that sort of thing, and is it actually practical from a hand-held device?

I reviewed my internet usage on my home computer and it's lower than I'd thought, so I'm not likely to exceed the data plan limits for the fraction that I'd be doing via a mobile device.

Is there anything else I should be considering before buying into an expensive phone and another 3 years?

There's not really any way to try-before-I-buy, to find out the deal-killer pitfalls that would not be obvious while merely caressing the new toy in the store. So I turn to the pioneers who have gone before me and have the arrow-scars in their butts.

What say?

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.