RE: Teaching a practical business writing class and looking for professional rubrics

Subject: RE: Teaching a practical business writing class and looking for professional rubrics
From: "Bruce Megan (ST-CO/ENG2.2)" <Megan -dot- Bruce -at- us -dot- bosch -dot- com>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:57:02 -0500

I agree...and want to elaborate...

I think young technical writers want to do such a good job from the get
go that they bite off more than they can chew (so to speak). This is to
say, they give themselves shorter deadlines than actually needed...and
then, in the 11th hour are scrambling to complete everything they
promised.

Over the last 17 years of technical writing, I have built into my
ambitious timeline, what I like to call a "week of wiggle". This allows
me to either turn in something way early or have it right on time. I
have never missed a deadline in all my years of writing....which I can't
say for my engineers.
:-).

I guess what I try to teach the new tech writers that I train into our
group, is that when approached as to the timeline, always give yourself
a little wiggle room, whether its 1 week or 3 days... We are not
psychics, able to see every little problem that will arise in our
development timeline.