Re: Source for statistics on the technical writing field

Subject: Re: Source for statistics on the technical writing field
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:03:40 -0700

Most of the low hanging fruit (those interested in becoming computer
literate) has already been picked, and people who are still computer
illiterate tend to be so by choice. The companies that will be the most
successful in servicing these users will be those that produce front
ends designed to handhold them all the way. Think "TurboTax," your
neighborhood ATM, or the menu for your digital cable TV service.

Things that are simpler upfront are invariably more complex under the
hood. There is as much, if not more, documentation needed for
simplified user interfaces as there has ever been for more complex ones,
but it is mostly be in support of those who must install and service
them rather than those who use them, and the depth of product and
technology knowledge required to author them is greater. If these
documents are often not being prepared by technical writers, perhaps one
reason for that is the difficulty of finding writers with the necessary
technical background to do the job without having to be spoon-fed
information by SMEs.

Gene Kim-Eng