RE: How do you ensure the quality of translations?

Subject: RE: How do you ensure the quality of translations?
From: "Technical Writing Plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'Bill Swallow'" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Boudreaux, Madelyn \(GE Healthcare, consultant\)'" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:43:21 -0600

If it is a specific thing that you are talking about, and if the document
was | Chinese | German | Spanish to English, then perhaps I could help by
reviewing it* - and this fixer service of mine is described at
fixer-jim.blogspot.com (scroll all the way to the bottom because the first
ad on that blog is for my Mandarin Coaching).

* This initial review and opinion will probably be free-of-charge. We can
talk about this and it is detailed in the fixer ads too.

Now, the wording of the intial query leads me to believe that it was a
general question. And my answer is that generally you have to get an
experienced translator who knows both languages who will review the work for
you. As to the *know* thing. Reputation is all. That is why 'reputable'
translation companies, etc., is always being emphasized.

The Global Communication SIG used to have some good information that was
downloadable from stc.org. Another resource is the American Translator's
Association. I think that their Web site is at atanet.org. Individual
translators can belong to the ATA and translation companies can belong too.
ATA Certification and ATA membership are not the same.

Jim Jones fixer-jim.blogspot.com (Chinese, German, Spanish
to English)