Re: Appropriate -- so inappropriate!

Subject: Re: Appropriate -- so inappropriate!
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:23:31 +1000

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> From: "Janice Gelb" <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
>> I have this same sort of problem with text that
>> says things like "Choose the color that you want
>> to use" or "Modify the settings to the desired
>> levels."
>>
>> "No, thanks, I think I'll choose a color that I
>> hate and pick settings that don't work with my
>> system."
>
> I don't have a problem with this sort of instruction if the choices really are a
> matter of preference and there is no right or wrong one. For example, if I go
> into the setup menu of my cable TV box and select the screen that sets the
> colors of the UI, I certainly don't need a separate set of instructions for each
> of the available schemes, nor do I even need the instructions to list all of
> them. Telling me how to access the list and select the one I want is
> sufficient.

It's the "one you want" part that I don't think
is necessary. "In the Display window, set your
color preferences" seems fine to me. Saying
"In the Display window, choose the color settings
that you want to use" is the wording that I think
is superfluous.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.