Re: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: Re: job-hunt weirdness
From: Michael West <WestM -at- ap -dot- aurecongroup -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:52:16 +1000

"Dave" wrote:
> Please explain. I don't see the connection between the discussion
> subject and your comments.

You don't see a connection between substandard English or unfocused
exposition in submitted writing samples (including a résumé ) and the
absence of a positive response on a job application for a writing
position?

Reading the Techwrl list over the years, I have noted that those who
complain longest and loudest about not getting the jobs, salaries,
promotions, "respect" or other recognition they feel they're entitled to,
and those whose writing is markedly deficient in the qualities I
enumerated in my comment, are frequently the same people.

It is, of course, possible, though not likely, that these defects are
somehow expunged when a job-seeker submits a resume and cover letter, or
completes a technical writing project. That's why I wrote "just possibly".

One may argue that the rules of clear writing don't apply when posting to
a public discussion group. I disagree. I don't think care with language
and respect for readers can be turned on and off. Twenty-something years
in the business have taught me this.

I'm not suggesting, by the way, that this is the only possible explanation
for not getting a call-back. But I didn't see anyone mention it, and it
seemed particularly applicable at that particular point in the discussion
(for reasons that I think need no further elaboration).

--
Mike West

Disclaimer - http://www.aurecongroup.com/apac/disclaimer/

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.