RE: Edit PDF in Acrobat Pro?

Subject: RE: Edit PDF in Acrobat Pro?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 14:08:35 -0600

Chris Morton wrote:

> Interestingly, no I can't.
>
> Also, I'm trying the PDF-file trial version, but it won't perform its
magic
> because it wants a password that's apparently been assigned to the
PDF.

> Now what?

That depends on exactly what the security settings are (File > Document
Properties, Security tab). Since you can't change the document or
copy/extract text without a password, it's possible you also can't print
it -- or can only print a low-resolution copy. But if high-resolution
printing is possible, and you have a scanner, you could scan hard copy,
OCR it, and then clean it up and turn it into a properly formatted Word
document.

Needless to say, this is a _lot_ of work (although less work than
retyping the whole thing), and Geoff's right -- I'd put considerable
effort into trying to recover the original source files first. At least
make inquiries about where the manual came from -- was it produced
in-house or by a vendor, what department did it come from, who did the
PDF come from and where did they get it, etc. Then try to track the
source down from that information. Or at least the password. :-)

Good luck!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer