Re: Plural form of appendix

Subject: Re: Plural form of appendix
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:36:51 +1000

On 18/06/09 08:39 AM, debra -dot- jones -at- editure -dot- com wrote:
> I was taught (in my technical writing course) that the plural form of
> appendix is appendixes. The Style manual-printed by the Australian
> Commonwealth Government-also says appendixes.
>
> I am working with a bid manager (a contractor) who is using appendices
> because her husband found on the internet that appendixes means more
> than one appendix (body part).
>
> Does anyone use appendices in bid documents or other documents? Does
> anyone use appendixes?

Regrettably, our style guide finally gave up on the
plural form "appendices" and now uses "appendixes,"
much to the regret of some of the editors (including
me). Proponents claimed that our audience would not
be comfortable with the traditional plural form.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.