url with anchor breaks in Linux/Unix, but works in Windows

Subject: url with anchor breaks in Linux/Unix, but works in Windows
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:20:39 -0400

Hey gang.
Any webhelp and html gurus wanna take a shot at this, please?

I have WebHelp (stand-alone, not integrated with the app).
The WebHelp has a designated startpage.htm, which is just
whatever-topic-page-I-chose when I told Flare to generate the help.

Coming in from the outside, if you start with just-any-old page, you get
just that page's contents, without the Help-ful navigation pane (ToC,
Search, Index...) and other goodies.

If you start with startpage.htm, you get the frames with the navigation
aids and the main frame is then populated with your pre-selected
starting topic page. All as it's supposed to be.

So far, so good......... Now....

On my documents CD, I have a START_HERE.html page that is NOT part of
the WebHelp, but external to it, and that page has some pointers INTO
the webhelp (and to other PDFs and such that live in the /docs
directory).

The help-invoking links in the START_HERE.html file are of two kinds:

target="_blank">Luna SP Help System </a>

Which fires up the startpage.htm and loads the desired intro page, all
very nicely.

... and ...

<a
href="./800282-005_rev-b_lunasp_2-0-4_webhelp/startpage.htm#StartTopic=/
content/installing_luna_sp_software.htm" target="_blank">Click for Linux
installation instructions</a>

which invokes the navigation frames via "startpage.htm" (anchor) and
then populates it with the content of a specific not-the-intro help
topic.

This has worked fine for a few years on all our supported OSes, and
still works fine in Windows.

In Linux and AIX (haven't bothered to check HP-UX and Solaris yet), only
the first part of the page-frame loads, and it stops, with none of the
navigation bits and no content.

All the topic pages are named in lower-case with underscores. Same for
all graphic files that might be used.
The path into the content is located under... strangely...
".../content/... and all sub-directories of the WebHelp are similarly
lowercase.

This is what lives inside that obscurely named
800282-005_rev-b_lunasp_2-0-4_webhelp directory.
[..]
[content]
[Data]
[Skin]
[catapult.log.zip]
startpage.htm
startpage .js
startpage.mcwebhelp
startpage.xml
startpage_CSH.htm
startpage_Left.htm

I can provide the text contents of startpage.htm and the others if that
would help.

This is a big hairy deal. Any suggestions where to look next? Please?
:-)

Thank you,

- Kevin

or disclosing it.