RE: Post-interview: "We'll call you"

Subject: RE: Post-interview: "We'll call you"
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:15:13 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet->
inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Combs, Richard
> Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:09 PM
> To: salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: Post-interview: "We'll call you"
>
> Chris Morton wrote:
>
> > A person I know has a great opp'y at a monthly magazine. She passed
> the
> > initial written audition, then was flown to their HQ, had
> dinner with
> them,
> > then was interviewed all day. The candidate believed she did well
> through
> > the entire process but at the conclusion they told her, "We have
> several
> > other candidates we want to meet with. We'll let you know in a few
> weeks."
> >
> > What's your assessment? If you were the candidate, what steps would
> you
> > take
> > now (if any)?
>
> Send thank you cards (paper, snail mail, not email).
>
> Richard

Here's a question, raised by that remark.

I agree that you should send the HAND-WRITTEN... or at least HAND-SIGNED
card via physical mail. However, if it's really important that it GET
there while they are still considering you for the job, would it be
overkill to send it registered or to send it via courier?

You want to know that they got it, and you want to know that they got it
in timely fashion, but you don't want to appear "over the top" or
creepily eager (so don't track down the interviewer's home address and
send it there...).

How would hiring managers on this list react to receiving a simple,
classy-in-itself thank-you note, but you had to sign for it (or your
company receptionist did)?

Any pros or cons that I'm not considering?

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com