RE: Is there a better way to word this?

Subject: RE: Is there a better way to word this?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Borowik, Kristy" <Kristy_Borowik -at- lcca -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:08:45 -0600

Borowik, Kristy wrote:

> I really hate it when manuals say something like: "Click the x link,
and
> you will be returned to the x page." It's the "and you will be
returned to"
> part that bothers me, or when people say "Click this link and you will
be
> taken to (whatever)." Is there a better way to say that? After all,
the
> users never leave their seats! :)
>
> I was thinking maybe something like: "The x page reappears." Any other
> suggestions?

"To return to the x page, click the x link." Better yet, just "click x"
unless x by itself is ambiguous in this context and you need to
explicitly specify "the ... link."

But returning to the x page may not be the real goal. In that case,
something like, "To framboozle the x-pods, click x. The x page appears.
Select a framboozle level..."

There's really no need to use "reappears" instead of "appears" (and
displays/redisplays is just plain wrong, as Suzette Leeming pointed
out).

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer