Re: My URL being used?!

Subject: Re: My URL being used?!
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:02:03 -0500

I'm glad you posted your question, Traci.

I have a domain name registered with a .net suffix that I don't use--just
reserved it to prevent anyone else from taking it. I checked it and found
that my hosting site was using that address to display ads. Now I guess I
have to set up a redirect to my .com site.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for you to put up a "Coming Soon" page.
I think I've seen recommendations not to do that, but it seems like a better
alternative than having people get the page that's currently displayed.

I'll be interested in comments from others on the list. This is something
I'd never heard of before.

Kathleen

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi, Traci :-)
>
> > I have a URL registered (PearsonTechComm.com),
> > although I still don't have my website up.
> > (Working on it though!) Today I happened to try
> > that URL, and it comes up with a page full of
> > links to colleges and online classes. What's up
> > with this?! And what can I do about it?
>
> According to whois.com, the site is parked with sedoparking.com. That
> website says that "domain parking is a simple way to earn money from
> your domains' natural traffic".
>
> Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
> Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquiries sent off-list
> may not be seen.)
> Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
> Microsoft Help MVP since 2002
> Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
> Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
> AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
> STC Secretary, 2006-2010
> Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kathleen%40writefortheuser.com

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com
kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com
kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com