RE: Shazam! You're a marketing writer!

Subject: RE: Shazam! You're a marketing writer!
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 17:47:23 +0800

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*

My previous post suffered the case of bla-nks and poor editing.
But I am sure it made no impressions whatsoever. :)

8 PROVEN PERSUASIVE WRITING BEST PRACTICES FOR THE TECH WRITER TURNED MARKET
WRITER
(the skills you've learned as a tech communicator are always applicable)

(1) Empathy.
For your customers. If your customers are people facing the burden of
falling profits, and balance sheets from day to day, words like 'cost',
'free' and 'money' are attention getters. Use the words that matter
carefully. 'Save costs. Boost profits. '

(2) Minimalism.
Contrary to popular opinions about business. 'individual paradigm-shifting
value-added future-proof words that are trendy people management speak like
getting your ducks in a row are not as horizon shifting and ball busting
propositions for your portfolio risk mitigation communication strategy
unless it means something to them'. Get it right. Get your messages
straight. Simplicity is harder than it seems.

Write for Ma.
If you are writing for people looking for tires, then write how your
solutions are 'safer' for them. Focus on that. Safe. Durable. Quality.

Safe because we have feature XYZ that cuts ABC by XYZ in just ABC weeks.
Better for you. Better for the environment.

(3) Credible, user testimonials.
Don't leave these out if you have the space or the sources.
Credible,influential user testimonials, customer quotes, case
studies(stories) are worth much more than 10 pages of specs, bright coloured
whiz bang nothings. Avoid random quotes by anonymous. Awards are helpful
too.

(4)
Google the '10 marketing key words'. Try fitting a few words in like Free ,
Save, Money, Cost, Power, Fast, Simple, Easy, etc.
Use carefully, and don't go nuts with it or it'll sound like a cheap blue
pills sales pitch.

5 BIG reasons why our services are better for technical writers like you.
Use lists with convincing, measurable, tangible, visual, factual words. Red
Letter Day. Juicy, tangy pink oranges from sunny Maui. Blue bananas for the
pink of health.
- Start with 'you'.
- Verbs.
- Close with an action statement. Buy this x. Sign up now.
- Try substantiating claims with honest numbers where possible.
Concreteness.
- Communicate honestly with integrity. It'll shine through.

(5)
Reduce. Reduce. Reduce.
Its all about focus. Present 10 key features our of a hundred reasons, in a
way that people can understand and remember.

'Made To Stick' is highly recommended. You'll find things in there you can
use. You'll learn to write memorable messages, sticker messages and
headlines.

Daniel