Re: telecommute

Subject: Re: telecommute
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Latella, Vincent" <VINCENT -dot- LATELLA -at- saic -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 15:01:52 -0400

Initially, I had telecommuted because I knew the owners of the company and
they wanted me. I said, "If you allow me to work from home, you've got a
deal".

In my next job, the company had a high degree of turnover in their
development staff, and I was often heard to exclaim, "If we have no
developers, you won't be needed me too much longer." My manager later asked
if there was anything that would convince me to leave. I told her that if I
could find a company that would allow me to telecommute, I'd be gone in a
flash.

I then gave that manager a copy of the Smart Valley Telecommuting Guide,
which does a very good job of explaining the implementation of telecommuting
policies, measurements, etc. I also did a business plan, showing how I'd be
more productive because of the lack of commuting (plus the time we take to
dress up, put makeup on, etc.) and the problems we face with each Canadian
winter (unable to make it to work, taking my life into my own hands, etc.)
There was also electricity to be saved, floor space (for a crowded
department), etc. Plus all the intangible stuff life Life/Work Balance,
Employee Satisfaction, etc.

So, not only did I tell her the benefits of allowing me to telecommute, I
also gave her what she needed as a manager to manage a remote employee,
measurements of success/failure, etc.

Two weeks later, a telecommuting agreement showed up on my desk.

If I still had a copy of the business plan I prepared, I'd send it to you,
but that was over 10 years ago, and I have no idea if Ikept it.

Suzette Leeming
Stouffville, Ontairo

http://www.doctohelp.com