Re: More on chapter numbering question

Subject: Re: More on chapter numbering question
From: Jonathan West <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "Saunders, Ian" <ISaunders -at- syntellect -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:38:44 +0100

2009/4/24 Saunders, Ian <ISaunders -at- syntellect -dot- com>:

> If you have a PDF document with sequential page numbering, that is usable online but is clearly formatted for printing (with sections beginning on right-hand pages, page numbers in cross-references, and even pages bearing "this page deliberately left blank"), would you expect its chapters and appendices to have numbers/letters?

The reasons to have them are all as you describe, plus the issue of
unambiguous cross-referencing within and between documents.

The reason not to is if the document is sufficiently short or simple
that it doesn't need it, or is intended for a lay audience who may be
intimidated by all these numbers all over the place.

Based on your description, I would take the view that if the document
is sufficiently long, complex & technical to need appendices, then it
probably also needs numbered sections.

Regards
Jonathan West

http://www.doctohelp.com