Fwd: telecommuting - advice needed

Subject: Fwd: telecommuting - advice needed
From: ActionA -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:58:04 EDT

I always forget to reply all.

In a message dated 4/23/2009 2:55:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ActionA
writes:

Hi Lev,

I live in NY and telecommute for a company in California. I love it. I
work a set 30-hour week, but my hours are somewhat flexible. Almost all of our
employees telecommute due to their remoteness from the home base in Oakland
(Latvia, Germany, Australia, Florida, Boston, Washington DC, NY). The only
times things become difficult is when we have company-wide meetings. Some
people have to get up exceptionally early and some have to stay up
exceptionally late. Other than that, things work fine.

One thing that has come up recently for a few of us is that the owner of
our company expects us to provide our own equipment and IT support is scarce.
I'd work for the first three months, but before you took permanent work,
I'd get it in writing what your company is expected to provide you and what
you are expected to provide. This will enable you to work out the kinks
before you experience any unforeseen expenses.

Just a thought...

Nancy Adams

In a message dated 4/23/2009 1:56:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lev -dot- abramov -at- gmail -dot- com writes:

dear list -
After having been a nine-to-fiver for the past three years and a recent
lay-off, I have just been offered a three-month work-from-home contract
(with a chance of becoming permanent). Decent pay and benefits. I will be
collaborating with two teams in two totally different time zones (the
Philippines and the US). Set hours (8 + 2 with a two-hour break in
between).

Not that I have never worked from home - but I have never worked as part of
a geographically distributed team. Apart from the cross-cultural
communication problems (and I could use a lot of advice in this
department!), what should I take into account? How should I brace myself
for
this new experience? Any and all suggestions and advice will be accepted
with gratitude.

Best -

Lev

--
Lev Abramov
http://myblog.schiffman.biz/

http://www.doctohelp.com

once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ActionA -at- aol -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/actiona%40aol.com

_Big savings on Dell XPS Laptops and Desktops!_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219799634x1201361008/aol?redir=http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;
214133440;36002254;j)

**************Big savings on Dell XPS Laptops and Desktops!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219799634x1201361008/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubl
eclick.net%2Fclk%3B214133440%3B36002254%3Bj)

http://www.doctohelp.com