Re: Where/how did you learn how to lay out and format tables?

Subject: Re: Where/how did you learn how to lay out and format tables?
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Paul Sholar <sholarpk -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:01:10 -0400

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Paul Sholar <sholarpk -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> I'm looking for authoritative sources that present the principles of
> laying out tables and formatting cell contents. There doesn't seem to
> be very much that exists across the WWW, except about implementing
> HTML tables on web pages, so I'm thinking that there must exist
> printed books of guidance to typesetters, scientific editors, graphic
> designers, book designers, and so on.

I've mostly done "seat of the pants" when I've not been constrained by
a corporate style guide. My degree is in Electrical Engineering - all
my design knowledge has been from independent research not associated
with a mentor or degree program.

Edward Tufte's books have been very useful in coming up with ways to
present various types of information.
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi

I also like the magazine "Before & After" for practical design tips.
http://www.bamagazine.com/

-Wendy

http://www.doctohelp.com