How do they record the actors for voice response systems

Subject: How do they record the actors for voice response systems
From: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:49:03 -0500

There's something I've always wondered about voice response systems, and I was wondering if anyone here has had firsthand experience constructing one and so could answer my question. My question concerns the systems that recite phone numbers you just dialed, your bank balance, dates, etc. -- "The number you have reached -- nine - two - three - four - five - six - two -- has been disconnected because the customer didn't pay his bill," "Your pathetic bank balance is -- two - dollars - and - ninety - three - cents." How do they go about recording the raw material for those snippets they piece together so that the end result reasonably approximates natural intonation? And I have to say, some systems do it a lot better than others.

As an aside, I once encountered a system that used a different, and obviously nonprofessional voice to recite the numbers, and I'm wondering how that state of affairs came about.

David Downing
Senior Technical Writer
Credit Union Solutions
Fiserv