Re: alternative to typo

Subject: Re: alternative to typo
From: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:25:49 -0500

From: Joel <eleysium -at- gmail -dot- com>
Subject: alternative to typo

For some reason I am having trouble coming up with an alternative to "typo."
I have a sentence that says:

"A typo in this command may render the unit unresponsive."

Should I change it to, "a typographical error"? That sounds stuffy. "A
mistake in typing..."? Something else?

Thanks,

Joel

You could say, "Mistyping this command may render the unit unresponsive."

But I think there's another issue here. This seems like one of those statements that shouldn't have to be made because anyone with a lick of sense would know that the system won't respond as desired if commands aren't typed correctly. It kind of reminds me of a warning in a microwave over manual I read one that said, "If you drop the glass platter on the floor, it will break." But then again, I'm guessing that the manufacturer of that oven was required to put warnings like that in the manual for legal reasons, so maybe you have to do the same thing.

David Downing
Senior Technical Writer
Credit Union Solutions
Fiserv