Re: Grammar

Subject: Re: Grammar
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:12:06 -0400

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM, David Hailey <david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu> wrote:

> Your description of "genre" uses a context straight out of high school. It is the common uninformed and careless description people use when they say things like "the education genre" or "the music genre." If you had done even as little as check Wikipedia you would know this. Genres are much more complex than your simplistic notion.

I was using the dictionary definition of "genre" which is "A category
of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a
distinctive style, form, or content." Which is also the definition
that was used when I worked in the publishing industry for many years,
and seems to be the definition used by most authors that I know (and I
know a lot of people who make their living as authors, in multiple
genres). This definition of "genre" doesn't mention anything about
differences in *grammar*. I suppose I should have been more clear and
said that I do not change my grammar and punctuation when I write,
although my style may change slightly (more or less formal) depending
on the context.

> But you have pointed out the problem you guys face, that I find so offensive. It is a habit you appear to be incapable of changing. You begin with "I completely disagree . . ." which is to say "You are wrong . . ." The fact is, if you would bother to research just a little, rather than just spout your opinions off the top of your head, you would never have written this because you would know you are wrong. But having done no research whatsoever, you come at me like a locomotive.

I can disagree with your opinion without thinking that you are wrong.
Adults engaged in discourse can do that. But I do have to say that I
find your attitude, that I am ignorant and stupid just because I do
not agree with you, to be offensive. I won't defend my intelligence
or education to you, you can think me stupid if you like, it really
doesn't change who I am.

As far as "looking up the answer" to grammar questions, I own a stack
of grammar books, which I consult frequently, and find that they often
contradict each other. The editor at my last job also had a stack of
grammar and style manuals on his desk, and he had the same problem
with finding a definitive answer to his questions. The point of an
in-house style guide is to pick which rules you're going to follow,
not to have the One True Way.

http://www.doctohelp.com