Re: George Hayhoe, a rant, and a resignation

Subject: Re: George Hayhoe, a rant, and a resignation
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:22:52 -0700

It's too bad he left without expounding on which subjects discussed in
the past month or so he thought were the most "insignificant," "not
important issues in the field" compared to grammar and style. Was it:

As a hiring manager, what are you looking for in a resume?
Consequences of not following the procedures...
Someone to do the "donkey work"
Subcontractors and billing
When reviewers collide
Sample document creation for contract position
So has anyone else been feeling the pressure to lower their hourly
rates?

Perhaps if I had said something about how new graduates of "Technical
Communication" programs need to be "untaught" most of what their
professors had taught them was most important to know as a professionals
in the field and introduced to the realities of finding a job, working
with tight deadlines, constricted budgets, reduced staffing, busy or
uncooperative SMEs and reviewers and surviving dysfunctional
organizations and management in unpredictable economic conditions it
might have piqued his interest in participating a bit more?

Somebody poke me the next time we get an academician who seems bored and
I'll see what I can do to help...

Gene Kim-Eng