RE: Hey! She messed with *my* manual

Subject: RE: Hey! She messed with *my* manual
From: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:13:04 -0400

What helps in this situation is to keep a copy of the manual as it was
when you finished with it. That helps in three ways:

1) You have it to look at and be proud of or reassured by
2) You can use it as a sample (following confidentiality rules etc)
3) If someone higher up has a problem with the updated version you can,
if necessary, show that you didn't create the problems.

I once wrote a manual that was later edited by people from the main
contracting company to eliminate the subjunctive. They added many other
grammatical errors, as well as usage errors, problematic design
decisions, and so on.

We had no recourse under the contract, but I was able to show my own
bosses that the version leaving our hands was correct.

- Jessica

http://www.doctohelp.com