RE: Sample document creation for contract position

Subject: RE: Sample document creation for contract position
From: "Latella, Vincent" <VINCENT -dot- LATELLA -at- saic -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:33:27 -0400

I equate the "technical test" discussed here to having an interviewee
for a trainer or instructor position give a sample presentation.

As such, it isn't COMPLETELY out of the ordinary.

That said, it very much depends on the subject matter being covered by
this "technical test."

For instance, in a scenario where an interviewee for an instructor
position is asked to give a sample presentation, said candidate will
probably *not* be asked to give a presentation that addresses any part
of curricula or system already being worked on by that organization.

Instead, the interviewee would probably be asked to present on 1) a
topic unrelated to the potential employer's line of business or 2) a
topic of the interviewee's choice. In either case, the potential
employer's only benefit is being able to see the interviewer in action.

With that in mind, I would NOT have a problem with a situation wherein a
potential employer asked for a "technical test" involving the
documentation of something TOTALLY UNRELATED to their line of business
(e.g. a bank software company testing asking me to write a small
instructional document on the use of Wikipedia, or something equally
innocuous). If that were the case, I'd at least be sure that they
weren't simply using the interview process as a way to get free
technical writing services.

Additionally, I think that 10-15 pages is a bit much to ask for an
unpaid "technical test" from the standpoint of the interviewee's time
investment. If they *had to* give a "technical test," something closer
to the 3-5 page range would be a more considerate request.