Re: Sample document creation for contract position

Subject: Re: Sample document creation for contract position
From: pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
To: Melissa Lowery-Smith <artsyreader -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:29:00 +0000

Hi Melissa:

This is a new one for me also. I have been asked for writing samples to be
sent ahead, which I also do not do. I tell the company that I am
intereviewing with that samples will be provided at an interview. I tell
them that by agreement with past employers, I cannot leave samples or send
them early. (I do not provide past salary history either.) I do, however,
have some samples on my web site that people can look at.

I must admit, I am a bit cynical in my outlook, so I would be very
concerned about doing a week's worth of work without compensation. A small
sample would be all right, but 10 - 15 pages seems a bit excessive.

NOTICE * I am not an attorney, so do not construe this as legal advice. The
following comments are based on my best knowledge of copyrights and how
they apply to individual work**.

Of course, being as cynical as I am, I would do part of it, and put my
copyright notice on every page. Any work done by you is automatically
copyrighted, unless you either sign away the copyright (for a charity, for
example) or you have a signed contract between you and another party that
states all work you do for them is a "work for hire." Since there was no
contract about "works for hire" and no compensation :-).(right??) that
means any documentation you produced belonged to you.

Any employer who tries to take advantage of you even before an in-person
interview, in my experience, will continue that behavior after you start
working for them. I would have walked away too.

Hope this helps.
PT

http://www.doctohelp.com