Re: Getting experience with expensive tools?

Subject: Re: Getting experience with expensive tools?
From: dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:14:58 -0600 (MDT)

Regarding the question of open source tools for help,
you can generate Java Help and HTML Help from DocBook
content. But, like the DITA Open Toolkit, that capability,
while useful, is not really a HAT.

If you would like more information on generating help from
DocBook, I recommend Bob Stayton's excellent book, "DocBook
XSL: The Complete Guide." Here is a pointer to the section
in his book on generating HTML Help:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/HtmlHelp.html

Jirka Kosek, who wrote some of the stylesheets for this,
also has a reference that I think is still ok, though it
is a few years old. Here is that reference:

http://www.kosek.cz/xml/dboscon/dbhelp/frames.html

Best Regards,
Richard Hamilton
Managing Writers: A Real World Guide to Managing Documentation
http://xmlpress.net/managingwriters.html

http://www.doctohelp.com