Re: May be off-topic but: "statistical editor"? 1921 job description

Subject: Re: May be off-topic but: "statistical editor"? 1921 job description
From: <wongword -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Mitchell Maltenfort" <mmalten -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:57:01 +1100

I was a statistical editor with the Australian Bureau of Statistics
www.abs.gov.au for many years. I started there as a graduate research
officer, involved with data collection where I edited incoming data as well
as reviewing the classifications used for publishing data.

This is where I learnt my technical editing skills. The skills were equally
as valuable when I left to work in OHS. I consider the experience to be
*absolutely invaluable*. I am still called on at work now to edit tables and
other numeric content.

I have written a few articles on designing and editing tables for the
Australian Society for Technical Communications. We also published a year
book which was text and table rich so I also was equally as familiar with
text editing as well.

And of course I was introduced to Tufte's books. What a joy. Let's not
forget Tufte and his statistics.

It was in the 1970s and 1980s when publications were hand written from print
out or hand written data books. We had to organise typing, later WP. We
organised proof reading which was double checked against checking. The check
adders were more accurate than the proof reading so the comparison of checks
was invaluable.

This was all before tables were generated from databases and the hand
transcription of data to manuscripts and then typed/WP. We designed the
dimensions of every table we published, often having to have them
photoreduced at typsetting companies. We had no good photoreducing
photocopiers in those days. Some publications were monthly, others
quarterly, annual or less frequent.

Irene Wong
Publishing Manager