Re: Software Reviewer's Guide

Subject: Re: Software Reviewer's Guide
From: Mike McCallister <workingwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:57:13 +1800

Patty,

Sounds like you have all the standard sections. I haven't done one in
awhile, but here are some thoughts:

* You definitely want to focus on the new features. Marketing will have some
ideas about this.
* Include plenty of screen shots and callouts for showing the new stuff in
the UI.
* I generally took the install and configuration information directly from
my manual. You may well get some feedback that way.
* Tell the reviewer where the default install folder is, even if you can
change that install folder. Most reviewers just click through the install,
and sometimes they want to find where the program resides.
* Make sure there's a knowledgeable contact person prominently listed in the
guide. You want to be as helpful as possible, and if the reviewer runs into
a problem, they should be able to call or email someone to get a prompt
answer.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike McCallister
Technical Communications Consultant
Author, "openSUSE Linux Unleashed" -- at bookstores now!
Notes from the Metaverse: http://metaverse.wordpress.com

http://www.doctohelp.com