Re: Qualifications for an off shore writer?

Subject: Re: Qualifications for an off shore writer?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:53:24 -0800

When I managed a global technical writing dept I used
the exact same job description overseas that I used in
the US. Most of the localization in hiring came from HR.

If your local requirements don't already cover the need
to be able to work with remote team members and people
who may be communicating in a second language, they
should. Once your company hires people overseas,
your US team members will have to do these things as
well. Don't expect to find an overseas team member who
will be able to take on 100% of the effort to work globally.

BTW, what version of FM was that Indian tech writer
using? IIRC, FM had no spell check prior to FM6...?

Gene Kim-Eng