Meetings -- ARRGGHHH!!!

Subject: Meetings -- ARRGGHHH!!!
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, David Downing <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:05:54 -0500

David Downing reports: <<I just got dragged into a meeting that I was
told would last 15 minutes and went on for 45 because several people
got hung up on one specific point, which didn't even concern me.>>

The advantage of being self-employed is that my staff meetings are
usually short. <g>

<<I just read an article in that same issue of INTERCOM about
effective meetings, but nobody else seems to be aware of the
principles discussed therein, or is unwilling to enforce them. The
problem is, I wasn't in a position to do anything about it because I
was an invited guest. What do you all do when you get into situations
like that besides just grit your teeth?>>

What do I do? I write articles about the problem <g>:
http://www.geoff-hart.com/articles/2001/meetings.htm
http://www.geoff-hart.com/articles/2008/meetings.htm
Then I leave them lying around where they can be read by the worst
offenders, and then I actually practice what I preach. Sometimes it
works, and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on how much influence you can
wield, and how skillfully you wield it.

Geoff Hart (www.geoff-hart.com)
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/books/eoe/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.doctohelp.com