RE: How do I document vaporware?

Subject: RE: How do I document vaporware?
From: "Sarah Stegall" <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:22:09 -0800

Phlogiston. LOL. Love that description. Not one single person in my
organization would know what that is.

Yes, this is being sold to real live software developers. The real dead
software developers don't pay as well.

Sarah

________________________________

From: Sarah Stegall <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>
Subject: How do I document vaporware?
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 6:46 PM

Having spent half a week taking all references to a certain feature OUT
of our software documentation, I am now informed that these references
are "placeholders" for future development. This means that when our
users (other software developers) browse through the command line
interface or the help menu, they are going to find undocumented commands
(that don't currently do anything anyway).

There's no telling when these "features" are actually going to be
implemented (software design plan? We don't need no stinking plan...).
What would be the best way to mention these in user documentation? I am
afraid our users will be very confused when they happen across
undocumented commands. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Thanks for
any feedback.

Sarah Stegall

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and
publishing
http://www.doctohelp.com

once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/klhra%40yahoo.com

http://www.doctohelp.com