Visual artifact

Subject: Visual artifact
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:17:59 -0500

Here's something you don't see every day.
Well, I do, but most of you wouldn't.
On my 64-bit DELL box, with nVidia Quadro FX 570 (latest drivers),
running Win XP Pro X64, when I run Firefox 3.0.5 and zip back and forth
across the (open) menu bar, the drop-down menus appear and disappear (as
you'd expect) but leave their drop shadows behind (as you wouldn't
expect).
If I move the Firefox window away, the shadows keep their screen
position.

I can get rid of the lingering ghost shadows by closing the Firefox 3
program.

Other than that, they linger on top of everything else, regardless of
what window is moved where. They survive screen refreshes, window
refreshes, screensavers, etc.

If I open and close individual drop-down menus individually (click File
to open, then click File to close before clicking Edit to open its menu)
then the shadow doesn't linger. But if I open any one menu and then
slide the pointer across the menu bar, the various menus open and close
and all leave their shadows behind. Peter Pan would be proud.

This is merely faintly annoying, but is mighty peculiar, especially
since I have yet to find another program that has the same effect.

Probably Firefox and nVidia need to chat... but not very urgently.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com