RE: A Need to fill the matrix

Subject: RE: A Need to fill the matrix
From: Diane Brennan <dalaine00 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: 'Bill Swallow' <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:32:06 -0800 (PST)

In the Seattle area this position is called a programmer writer but I think that position title may not have migrated to other areas. I worked as a programmer writer for seven years so you'll have to trust me on this.

I may be making assumptions about the position requiring the writer to write sample scripts because of my work background. To me, when you are dealing with applications writing to databases there is some SQL scripting involved. But that may not necessarily be the case. Usually if the writer is required to do product testing, it will be part of the job description. That's why I assumed that the recruiter was thinking that the writer would need to write his own scripts in order to test or create procedures for writing to the database. So "writing a test script" would be, in the mind of the recruiter, a skill that would be required for this particular task.

You really need to ask the recruiter why the writer needs this skill.