Re: Tools -- RoboHelp/Webhelp style alignment issues in Firefox

Subject: Re: Tools -- RoboHelp/Webhelp style alignment issues in Firefox
From: Lech Rzedzicki <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:10:57 +0000

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> The problem is in the CSS somewhere, and usually Firefox is the one
> that is doing what's been coded...IE is a much more forgiving browser
> and tends to display what you want, rather than what's coded.

I can only second that - Firefox is more standards compliant (i.e. recent
builds pass ACID2 tests and most of ACID3).
You can double check in another standards compliant browser such as Opera,
Safari or Chrome to verify that.

> Can you post the CSS definitions for lists from the different .css files?

CSS is really quite simple, the page you're used to seeing in a web browser,
for CSS is a box, with a number of areas with margins, paddings, borders etc
and each of those can be style.
In particular, if you want an indent for some list items but not all of
them. There's quite a few ways to achieve what you want, but one way is to
define a generic class in css like this:
.indent_level1 { text-indent: 0.25in }
.indent_level2 { text-indent: 0.25in }

The in the output HTML, the nested <li> items should have those in a class
attribute, like this:
<ul>
<li>No nesting</li>
</ul>

There's quite a few rules that come into play such as inheritance, relative
vs absolute positioning etc.
You also mentioned 0.25 as your desired margin, which might look good on
your screen, but it is an abolute distance, which might be too big on a
small netbook screen or too small on a big designer LCD. Whyle having a good
CSS with relative values is harder to achieve, it scales nicely across
different screens.
If you don't feel too strong about CSS, it's probably best to outsource
those simple improvements, most web diesigners are well aware of IE quirks
and positioning issues.

There's yet another thing, albeit unlikely, Robohelp generates quite a bit
of Javascript and JS can override CSS positioning. To ensure that it is not
the source of the problem, try displaying the page with Javascript off (many
help features such as search won't work, but you should be able to see the
indentation).

Regards, Lech

http://www.doctohelp.com