RE: Proper definition for "acronym" (was A vs, an)

Subject: RE: Proper definition for "acronym" (was A vs, an)
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>, "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:10:02 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Leonard C. Porrello [mailto:Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com]

For another,
many words formed from initials defy easy categorization. Some don't
even have widely agreed-upon names to describe them.

Leonard

Can you provide some examples of what you mean?

Perhaps you were thinking of the ones where a vowel sound is
interpolated to make it pronounceable as a word -- for example, HMDA
pronounced, "humday," or FASB pronounced, "fazbee," or FNMA becoming
"Fannie Mae." (I remember radio station WIBG calling itself "Wibbage.")

There's also another hybrid where the first letter is pronounced as a
letter and the rest is pronounced as a word. The only example I can
think of is JPEG, pronounced, "jay-peg," but I know there are others.

http://www.doctohelp.com