RE: Onsite or on-site?

Subject: RE: Onsite or on-site?
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "'Meryl R. Cohen'" <merylster -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "'Susan W Gallagher'" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:23:50 -0800

> From: McLauchlan, Kevin

> I frequently/generally see coop, first, then have to derive
> co-op from the context.
>
> I have never - not once - stumbled over co-op (whether it was
> the name of a store or bank-like entity, or part of a larger word).

http://www.snfc.coop/

Now you can say that you've seen "co-op." What's funny is that, although, I
didn't understand why "cooperation" was hyphenated, I completely understand
why "co-op" is hyphenated. And I've never seen "coop" used as "co-op."

> It might be just me (I'm in my mid-50s),

You seem so much younger in your posts, but in a good way, not in an
immature... oh, never mind.

> but I defy any of
> you to engage in a conversation - especially written - in
> which the word coop (koop) is used many times, and then NOT
> stumble when it's used in sentence to mean co-op.

Former U.S. Surgeon General, C. Everett Koop, has engaged in a new farm
co-op project where Koop manages the chicken coop. Cooperation from the
co-op chickens in their coop is required to make Koop's co-op coop a
success.

That statement will not work well without hyphens.

> I never used the diaeresis because it wasn't on my typewriter. :-)

I had coffee. Oh wait, that's dieresis, not diuretic. =)

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com