Re: Best laid plans of mice

Subject: Re: Best laid plans of mice
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Technical Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:30:15 -0800

My concept of "good terms" has less to do with the
company than with certain individuals in it. You know
that prospective employers will probably get nothing
useful from HR, and the manager/s who made the
decision to terminate your employment are probably
not the best people for them to talk to even if they're
willing, so the people you most want to leave on
"good terms" with are the ones you think are actually
going to suffer the most from your unwilling departure
and are amenable to being good references for you
in the future.

I have enthusiastic references from someone in
every company I've ever worked for in this field,
including the few I left under less than happy
circumstances; the references from those
companies don't include anyone I ever
reported to.

Gene Kim-Eng