RE: the old insure ensure assure

Subject: RE: the old insure ensure assure
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:38:24 -0700

Leonard C. Porrello wrote:

> What the heck, Kevin?! I'm just gonna ignore that. If you ain't got
> nothin' good to say, don't say nothin' at all.

So, are you upset by Kevin's message because:

-- you're one of those who can't be bothered to learn the difference
between ensure and insure?
-- you're one of the panderers at a dictionary organization?
-- you leave tools out in the rain and aren't ashamed?

You know what they say about the shoe that fits. :-)

FWIW, and just in case anybody cares, my reaction to the below rant was
"Bravo, Kevin!"

> Dontcha just love how the American dictionaries seem so eager to bow
> down to the lowest common denominator. Once again, we seek the
> subtraction of meaning and value from a perfectly good word. Well, we
> don't, but the idiots (who can't be bothered to learn the nearby,
simple
> word that means what they actually want to say) are inordinately
pleased
> with themselves when they destroy yet-another word and spread the
> dumming ever-further (or is that farther?... doesn't matter, they'll
> erase the distinction soon enough).
>
> I have the same respect for those people - and for their panderers at
> the dictionary organizations - as I do for people who leave a new tool
> out in the rain to rust, and then don't even have the grace to be
> ashamed, because it wasn't so much an oversight as a "don't give a
f..."
> I'll stop now.

Richard

Richard G. Combs