Re: A philosophical tech writing question

Subject: Re: A philosophical tech writing question
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:40:13 -0500

Keith Hood wrote:
> --- On Thu, 11/20/08, Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com> wrote:

>> Personally, I could enjoy good documentation written or
>> assembled by a computer. ...

> = I really think that day will never arrive. True computer-generated
> = writing would require a very precise model of how the writing mind
> = works. ...

I have already seen the documentation written by a computer, or else by
someone whose mind could have been replaced by one. It tends to name the
function of each part, but omit overviews and goals. An example (I'm
making this one up) might go like this:

Using the mouse, click on the buttons for actions.
[picture of mouse omitted]
[picture of DATA button omitted]
DATA > ACTIONS > XSORT Displays xsort options
DATA > ACTIONS > XSORT > QS Displays the quicksort selection page.

The poor user, through trial and error, and without the help of the
badly focused documentation, has already reached the QS page, but cannot
figure out how to get QS to sort by the data in the third column. (It's
trivial--you enter -2 in the OTHER OPTIONS box. The computer who wrote
the documentation saw no need to include that "obvious" part.)

The choices of what to put in, how to describe it, and what to leave out
are part of what distinguish good documentation from bad. But I'm
preaching to the choir.

It's almost Friday, so I'd better remind everyone that if there are 25
sheets in a quire, and 500 in a ream, we might be able to calculate the
number of choirs in a trireme.

http://www.doctohelp.com