documenting business rules and requirements

Subject: documenting business rules and requirements
From: "Elizabeth Dawson" <dawson -dot- elizabeth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:38:28 -0600

I'm rather new to this forum, so: Hello!

I'm a fresh out of college tech writer working as the lone writer
documenting software, and kind of finding myself squished into a BA's role.
Of course, I've been tasked to set up a "best practices" for documentation,
with all the non-writers in my department as the audience. I also need to
learn more about business requirements and rules, in order to set up some
templates to help others' document their own work. The example I was given
was less about software business rules, but about how people complete tasks
around the software. For example, rules about how often to call certain
customers, the order in which questions can be asked, what materials are
sent to which groups during specific measurement cycles... things like
that. Does anyone have any guidance that could help me out? Those rules
sound rather procedural to me, but I am concerned that if I treat it as a
procedure, I will be missing something more about the business. Does anyone
have any experience in this area?

Thank you so much for any light you can shed on these subjects! I just want
to do the best I can, and not look back on this project with horror in a few
years!
--
Elizabeth A. Dawson
dawson -dot- elizabeth -at- gmail -dot- com

Please consider the environment before printing this or any other document.

http://www.doctohelp.com